Two-Year College Data Science Summit
May 10-11, 2018 (awaiting final confirmation), Washington, DC
With funding from the National Science Foundation, this workshop will bring together a diverse group of participants to make recommendations for two-year college data science programs, keeping in mind the needs of each of three student populations:
- Those seeking employment following an associate’s degree
- Those seeking transfer to four-year programs
- Those seeking certificate programs and college-level courses in data science for professional development
To express interest in participating in the workshop, please fill out this Google form.
The steering committee includes the following:
- Rob Gould, chair (2016–2017), ASA/AMATYC Joint Committee; director, UCLA Center for Teaching Statistics; professor of statistics, UCLA; co-author of PCMI Guidelines; participant in ODI Global Data Literacy workshop (will serve as co-chair)
- Beth Hawthorne, chair, ACM Committee for Computing Education in Community Colleges; vice chair, ACM Education Board; community college representative to the ACM Education Policy Committee; senior professor of computer science, Union County College
- Nicholas Horton, professor of mathematics and statistics, Amherst College; NAS data science education roundtable member
- Randy Kochevar, co-principal investigator, OID Pathways for Big Data Careers; director, Oceans of Data Institute
- Brian Kotz, professor of mathematics and statistics and Data Science Development Team lead, Montgomery College
- Roxy Peck, vice chair, ASA Education Council; professor emeritus, Department of Statistics, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Mary Rudis, director of Practical Data Science Program and professor of mathematics, Great Bay Community College (will serve as co-chair)
- Heikki Topi, principal investigator, Exploring the Status of Education for Data Science Workshop, October 2015; professor of computer information systems, Bentley University
ASA Director of Strategic Initiatives and Outreach Donna LaLonde, ASA Director of Education Rebecca Nichols, and ASA Director of Science Policy Steve Pierson will offer support from the American Statistical Association.
With the project just beginning, this page serves as a place holder. We ask you to check back in October for more information. For questions, email Steve Pierson. Also, if your two-year college data science program or course is not included in our list, please let Steve know.